McNaught Guitar Forums
December 11, 2017, 05:34:22 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to ClubMcNaught.com!!! These forums are intended to be a sounding board for guitarists lucky enough to own a work of art made by David Thomas McNaught (and Dave Mansel too).
Home Help Search Arcade Media Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Anybody here use Soldanos?  (Read 33031 times)
ptgold

« on: December 13, 2008, 03:40:50 PM »

My current gear is a Hot Rod Deluxe with my Podxt live, and an old Sound City 70s head.  Love them however i just got a big case of GAS for the SLO which Ive only heard a model of on the Pod.  Its the tone which Ive always wanted..but, its a digital model and it has its limits.....not the real thing. 

Anyone extensively use one here?
DiazDude

« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2008, 07:13:43 PM »

I've had various Soldano's over the past few years..HR50+, Decatone & SLO 100. All three are great amps. The OD channels on the HR50+ & Decatone are based on the SLO circuit and are close to the SLO's voice but I think the other components, transformers etc, alot of them military grade set the SLO apart. Like I've found with most high end amps minute adjustments on any setting yield great changes. The SLO is one of the most responcive amps I've ever had. Great tone across the board and it's also one of the loudest amps I've ever heard.

Bacon..The Elixir of Life.
Machine Man

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2008, 04:57:27 PM »

A friend of mine, singer/guitar player of the band I used to be in, has a SLO.  I have never heard it in person, but I know he loves it.  I've been wanting to get together and jam with him lately, but it hasn't worked out yet.  One of these days.  I've been really wanting to hear that amp.
Jen

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2008, 04:49:52 PM »

I've recently pulled my SLO  out of the closet. It's an AWESOME sounding amp. Here are my own pros/cons:

1) It's a LOUD amp. My bandmates always loved the tone, but hated the volume. I use it at home with an attenuator, and it still sounds great, but it still needs to be cranked/opened up to really shine. The gain channel, and the lead tones I can get with it are straight out of the 80's.

2) It is not really a "plug n play" amp. I stopped using it live and switched to the Bogner Shiva, as the Bogner was more consistent/easy to get a great tone out of without the need to tweak settings depending on the room. The SLO is much more versatile than the Shiva though. If I could only own one amp, I'd choose the SLO.

3) I think it has great cleans. Most people don't like them, but depending on what tubes you use, and how you bias it, you can get some very warm, clean tones, or great "edge of breakup"

4) The customer service is AMAZING! I can't say enough good things about the support.  I've owned this amp since the mid 90's,(secondhand) and have never had any sort of issue with it. I did send the amp to them to be refusrbished a few years back, and the turn around time was less than 2 weeks.

clubshred

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2010, 10:20:01 AM »

I agree with Jen completely on the SLO 100. I had one for years but I became an artist for Hughes and Kettner a few years back and just use mostly their stuff but I also use the Axe-FX thru a Mesa 2:90 amp as well. Funny thing is though, is that my Axe settings for my lead channel are the SLO 100.

I don't regret selling gear to support G.A.S. but the SLO 100 I had was one of the few things that I sold that irritated me. I should have kept it but it's spirit lives on within the Axe!  Grin

But Jen is right - it's LOUD. Best it ever sounded was when I had it in an isolation booth and it was CRANKED during a studio session.

The Rig: Axe-FX II XL, Summit Audio 2BA-221, Port City 2X12 cabs, Matrix GT1500, Shure PLX4 wireless, MFC-101, Mission pedals

Active Duty: McNaught XD627, McNaught XD727, Steinberger GS7ZA, Brian Moore C-90p Artist    

The Vault: McNaught Tempest #0031, Suhr Modern Aqua-B
Farcide

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2010, 08:10:47 PM »

I'm crying all week because I just sil my SLO Saturday. I just sent an email to the buyer to see if he'll sell it back to me. Nothing else like it out there

If it all comes from and ends up in the same place......why all the drama?
Bill Niersbach

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2011, 12:00:44 PM »

I have a rackmount SLO...absolutely LOVE IT.  Soldoff every other amp I have except a Night Train (just so I have an extra amp to jam on with guests)  I was a bogner XTC guy for about 4 - 5 years, but a good friend of mine passed this on to me and I am in absolute love iwth it.  I even built a head box to house it in all by myself!!  LOL  Dave and Dave would be proud!!  LOLOLOLOL

Carlos-Xavier

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2013, 02:57:08 PM »

I have a Hot Rod 100+ it's a nice amp! Very versatile with a great tone and very very loud too.

My only complaint is the soldano loop! You have to be very special with the devices that you will plug there. But I'm lucky because I don't use a large variety of effects, sometimes a little delay, sometimes a little chorus, sometimes a lite reverb. Thats all for me.

These days I'm in love with the Hot Rod 25 Smiley
JUAN OF ECUADOR

« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2013, 09:23:45 PM »

I own three SLO 100, all of them with depth mode and some other different modes. They are awesome with Gibson Guitars and of course with McNaught Guitars. My best guitar in my opinion is my McNaught Vintage Single Cut and combined with my Soldano SLOs gives an emblematic sound.  headbang2
Carlos-Xavier

« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2013, 12:45:10 PM »

Hey Juan you are right! McNaught's Single Cuts and Soldanos is a great combo!!  headbang headbang headbang
ptgold

« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2013, 02:54:26 PM »

I own three SLO 100, all of them with depth mode and some other different modes. They are awesome with Gibson Guitars and of course with McNaught Guitars. My best guitar in my opinion is my McNaught Vintage Single Cut and combined with my Soldano SLOs gives an emblematic sound.  headbang2

Wow...3 SLOs?!  Do you have one with the 2 overdrive channels?  Id like one like that.  Anyways Im making do with my AXEFX2s SLO model...sounds glorious
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Home Help Search Arcade Media Login Register