McNaught Guitar Forums
October 20, 2017, 02:40:29 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to ClubMcNaught.com!!! These forums are intended to be a sounding board for guitarists lucky enough to own a work of art made by David Thomas McNaught (and Dave Mansel too).
Home Help Search Arcade Media Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Hi all  (Read 146 times)
eclecticsynergy

« on: August 10, 2017, 03:04:30 AM »

Just got a VDC. Very happy- I've wanted one for years. It's beautiful. But of course they all are. Plays like a dream, and the RioGrandes sound great even at apartment volume. Haven't given it a real test flight yet. I look forward to feeling it come alive at volume.

"If it sounds good, it is good." - Duke Ellington

For dark is the suede that mows like a harvest.
hirschaj
McNaughts Rock
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2017, 07:34:51 PM »

Congrats, they're awesome guitars! Can you share a picture?

Guitars I Own:
Vintage Single Cut - Tequila Sunrise - Offset Block Inlay
Yamaha Dreadnaught Acoustic
eclecticsynergy

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2017, 04:25:50 PM »

Here's a celphone pic that I took the day I brought it home. (EDIT: forum format cropped out the headstock for some reason; you can click through to Imgur and see the whole pic.)

and a pic of the back from the Craigslist ad; body & neck are black limba.

I love korina. Have five other korinas right now: a Moderne, two Explorers, a Firebird Studio, and a korina PRS McCarty with a Brazilian fingerboard made from rosewood that was 40 years old when Paul got it from Martin back in the 90s. None are black korina. Finding a McNaught for sale locally was unusual enough. That it was black korina just blew my mind. And with a trem, too. Had to go see it!  And once I played it there was no hesitation. Bought it on the spot.

Kind of wish it had the offset block inlays, but one can't have everything. (Unless and until I can afford a custom build...) The gold/paua dots don't show up very well in photos but in person they're visible enough. And very pretty. Diamond quilt top is simply gorgeous. Tequila Sunrise finish looks a little washed out in the first pic since it was taken in full sunlight with a crappy celphone. Here's a pic from the CL listing that shows the actual color:

I love the way this thing plays. The neck is rather snappy, with quite a fast attack for korina- not as vibrant & elastic as some but plenty lively nonetheless. I credit Dave's super deep tenon for at least some of that. Have been a fan of long tenon necks since I got my first long tenon Les Paul back in the early 80s, a Guitar Trader pre-Historic that remains my favorite LP to this day. The Moderne, a couple of my other LPs and all my PRSs are long tenon. But the McNaught neck joint, of course, takes that idea to a whole new level.

According to the spec sheet this one has a Brazilian fingerboard too, not quite as dark & waxy as the old growth Braz on my korina PRS but familiar under my fingers, like putting on a favorite old shirt. I really like the soft V neck carve, too: a little different yet super comfortable. My only other V neck is a hard vee profile (Strat neck) and it's fine but switching back & forth from ordinary necks feels like an adjustment. This one is totally natural in my hands, even down where the V is most pronounced. Hipshot trem is nice & civilized, not quite as silky smooth as the PRS trem but it behaves like a really good Strat trem (which it is, I guess) and most importantly it holds its tune. I don't divebomb anymore (and if I ever need to I can pull out one of my old Floyd warbirds) but poor tuning offends my ears and I don't like having to worry about it. No worries here. I was a bit surprised that the Hipshot tone block is so skinny but it sounds fine and there's no lack of sustain.

I'm head over heels for this axe.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2017, 04:35:53 PM by eclecticsynergy » Logged

"If it sounds good, it is good." - Duke Ellington

For dark is the suede that mows like a harvest.
hirschaj
McNaughts Rock
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2017, 07:34:02 PM »

Wow, stunning guitar. McNaught's are amazing to look at but when you actually get to play one it's just at a whole other level. Love the write up you did here.

Guitars I Own:
Vintage Single Cut - Tequila Sunrise - Offset Block Inlay
Yamaha Dreadnaught Acoustic
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Home Help Search Arcade Media Login Register